Laser Nail Fungus Treatment – Everything You Need To Know Before Getting It
Nowadays nail fungus is a general problem among a majority of people. This fungal infection makes the nail thicker and it becomes yellow in appearance. It is very necessary to treat it as soon as possible as later it can spread to the other nails also. There are many ways to cure it however the latest and most effective one is the laser treatment.
Where to get the best Laser treatment?
As toenail fungus laser treatment is considered as one of the best ways to get rid of the nail fungus. For the best treatment, you can trust the Podiatrist in Irvine, Dr. Sima Soltani. She is one of the best Podiatrists with 20 years of work experience and specializes in operation-less treatment. The clinicians in Irvine are known for their best and most effective treatment.
What is toenail fungus?
Toenail fungus or onychomycosis is a fungal infection that leads the nails to become thick, brittle, and yellowish. It is caused by a group of fungi called dermatophytes. It is mostly seen in people who use more amount of cosmetics. It rarely causes pain and a foul smell. You can diagnose it with the changed Color on your own. Its symptoms are:
- The appearance of a white or yellow spot over the nail spreads all over the nail with time
- With time it becomes thickened and becomes hard to trim
- May get curled and misshaped
- May cause pain and fouling smell
There are several types of toenail fungus according to which the symptoms also vary. Let’s know a little more about them. There are four different kinds of onychomycosis. They are:
- Distal subungual onychomycosis: it is the most common type of onychomycosis. It starts with the nail bed.
- White superficial onychomycosis: it is seen very rarely and affects the nail surface mostly the toenails.
- Proximal subungual onychomycosis: it is mostly seen in people with autoimmune disorders like HIV. It first appears as a white spot on the nail surface.
- Candidal onychomycosis: it is mostly seen in fingernails with any kind of injury. It is caused by yeast. It also leads to swollen nails and might be quite painful.
Why prefer laser treatment?
There are various other methods for getting rid of the toenail fungal infection like medicines, creams and lotions, and a variety of home remedies. However, the use of these methods is quite time-consuming whereas laser toenail fungus removal is less time-consuming and have greater outcomes compared to others.
From various research and analysis, it is found that most of the patients who received it got clear nails within three to six months. Here are some surveys that show the result of laser treatment:
- In 2016, FDA stated in its studies that patients with laser treatment were able to grow new and healthy nails within six months.
- In 2018, the laser journal of medical science published that the success rate of the laser treatment for fungal removal is about 83.7%.
- In 2019, the American association of family Physicians stated in their journal that they observed within 180 days the patients were cured by 30% and showed healthy nail growth.
How it laser treatment work on nails?
Before getting laser treatment for toenail fungus it is necessary to have a brief idea about how it works. So let’s have an idea about it.
First, the clinicians will prepare the area for the treatment procedure. The nails have to be nail polish-free and decals the nails. After that, the procedure is finally processed. The laser from the treatment is highly specialized that penetrates the nail surface and eradicates the fungus without harming the nail tissues. It is mostly painless.
Healthy ways to prevent toenail fungal infection
It is very necessary to maintain healthy hygiene to prevent fungal infection. As the dirty and warm area is quite a perfect condition for fungal growth. So here are some of the healthy habits that one should follow to keep fungal infections away. These are:
- Wash your feet properly: it is very important as dirty and sweaty feet can be a good habitat for fungal growth. So after coming from outside and before going to bed you should wash your feet properly.
- Trim your nails correctly: cut your nails with a clean and well-sterilized nail cutter or nail scissors and make sure to cut them in proper shape.
- Minimize the use of cosmetics: the overuse of cosmetics can be a major factor in the growth of fungus. Hence try to avoid its use.
- Avoid going barefoot anywhere especially outdoor: the outside environment is full of a variety of fungi hence it could easily infect your feet. So wear proper footwear before you leave your place.
- Disinfect regularly: always keep remember to keep your bathroom, basement clean use disinfectant on floors, and anti-fungal power in footwear.
- Use breathable or well-ventilated footwear: it would make the feet less susceptible and less optimum for the fungus to grow and infect the feet.
As you are now well aware of the things about fungal infection and laser treatments. Keep these things in your mind before you go for the laser treatment for fungal infections.